More and more consumers are concerned about the ingredients of their toileteries. Parabens, Triclosan, mineral oil based substances and sulfates are chemicals used in conventional cosmetics that can impact not only the environment but also the human body.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is – because of its foaming – ability a common ingredient in body wash, shampoo, toothpaste laundry detergent and toothpaste. It is used for its capability to break up dirt and grease. Besides being used in toiletries, you can also find it in harsh products such as carpet cleaners and car wash soaps.
However, SLS is known to be an skin-irritant for a lot of persons and with the growing concern about the chemical ingredients in our toiletries that are used on a daily basis many people prefer to avoid any product containing this harsh ingredient.
One of the major problems with SLS is that it is corrosive and can cause mouth ulcers – clearly a problem when it’s an ingredient in your toothpaste. So if you’re suffering from ulcers or other irritation, you should consider using an SLS free toothpaste. There are many brands on the market, which use natural ingredients such as baking soda, plant oils, or xylitol (a natural sweetener considered to help dental health), instead.
List of fluoride free toothpaste brands without SLS
As we are focussing on non-fluoride toothpaste on this website we put together a list of fluoride-free toothpastes for you. You will find popular all natural or organic brands such as Tom’s of Maine, Jason’s or Nature’s Gate. But there are also a couple of interesting brands from abroad such as Himalaya from India or Logodent from Germany that you might want to consider.
- Davids Premium Natural Toothpaste (all natural USA origin ingredients)
- Desert Essence (all toothpastes are fluoride and sls free)
- Dr. Hauschka Med Teeth Sensitive Saltwater and Forte mint
- Green People Toothpastes (UK): Organic Minty Cool, Organic Peppermint
- Himalaya Neem and Pomegranate
- Jason Sea Fresh Toothpaste
- Lavera Basis sensitiv toothpaste
- Logodent: Logodent Peppermint Herbal Dental Gel, Rosemary & Sage Herbal Dental Gel, Mineral Toothpaste, Sensitive Toothpaste
- The Natural Dentist Healthy Teeth & Gums Fluoride-Free Toothpaste, Peppermint Sage
- Nature’s Gate (all toothpastes)
- Oral Essentials Fresh Breath Toothpaste
- Real Purity (all)
- Redmond Earthpaste Lemon Twist
- Sante Dental Med Myrrh and Dental Med Mint
- Tom’s of Maine: Toddler Training Toothpaste, Fluoride-Free Children’s Toothpaste, Fluoride-Free versions of Antiplaque and Whitening Toothpaste and Gel, Wicked Cool!, Sensitive , Propolis and Myrrh, Botanically Bright, Travel Natural Toothpaste
- TruthPaste Ayurvedic Toothpaste
- Uncle Harry’s Fluoride Free Toothpaste (all)
- Weleda (all)
SLS and fluoride free toothpaste for kids
It’s also useful to have an SLS free toothpaste list for children, as many parents also want to avoid exposing their children to any harsh chemicals. Manufacturers of SLS free toothpaste for kids include Jack N’ Jill Kids, with five fruity flavours and one flavour-free, Hello Oral Care, and Now Foods, which comes in three flavours.
Brands that offer toothpaste without SLS for Kids:
- Dr. Hauschka Children Sensitive Orange Toothgel
- Green People Organic Children Spearmint & Aloe Vera Toothpaste, Organic Children Mandarin & Aloe Vera Toothpaste
- Jack N’ Jil Kids: Natural Calendula Banana, Blackcurrant, Blueberry, Strawberry, Mixed Fruit Basket
- Lavera: basis sensitiv Kid’s Tooth Gel Strawberry-Raspberry
- Logodent Kids Dental Gel Strawberry, Spearmint
- Weleda Childrens Tooth Gel
We hope you find this list helpful. If you come across another fluoride and sls free toothpaste, please contact us. If you are looking for sls-free toothpaste with fluoride, check out this article.