When Tom Chappell moved together with his wife Kate and children to rural Maine in 1968 they couldn’t find natural personal care products. Hence they to decided to create their own in the early nineteen seventies.
Starting with a $ 5,000 loan from a friend they started to developed environmentally-friendly products and grew their product range with non-phosphate laundry detergent.
Tom’s of Maine developed the first all-natural toothpaste and all-natural deodorant.
Even after the acquisition of the company by Colgate-Palmolive in 2006, the core values haven’t changed: Tom’s of Maine products do not contain artificial flavors, colors, fragrances, or preservatives. The products are never tested on animals.
Tom’s of Maine uses zinc citrate and xylitol, a natural ingredient derived from birch trees or corn in their toothpastes. They offer fluoridated as well as non-fluoridated tootpaste.
The following toothpastes are fluoride-free:
Toothpastes without fluoride for adults
- Antiplaque and Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
- Antiplaque and Whitening Fluoride-Free Gel
- Fluoride-Free Wicked Cool!
- Fluoride-Free Sensitive
- Fluoride-Free Propolis & Myrrh
- Fluoride-Free Botanically Bright
- Fluoride-Free Travel Natural Toothpaste
Toothpastes without fluoride for children
- Toddler Training Toothpaste
- Fluoride-Free Children’s Toothpaste